Monday, November 14, 2011

A Parents Biggest Fear

Seriously. Last night, Troy woke up from his afternoon nap, GASPING for air. He couldn't stop crying, sounded super "froggy" and was drooling uncontrollably and he couldn't open his eyes fully. Oh and he was sweaty and very hot to the touch. So Nick and I strapped him in the carseat, and away to the ER we went. After tests, an epinephrin breathing treatment, a chest x-ray and a fever reducer, my little dude has croup. Seriously, I LOVE this time of year. Ask anyone, Fall and Winter? MY seasons. Christmas? Fuh-get about it. Absolutely love Christmas. In fact, I will be decorating this week, but thats a different post for a different day. But the sickness that the cold weather brings, I hate! I never really minded getting sick until having a baby or being pregnant. I mean, I don't like getting sick, but I wasn't canceling dinner dates just cause someones kid had the flu & I didn't want to come in contact. I do look at this as building his immune system. I always have had that train of thought, that it's beneficial to a certain degree for kids to be exposed to germs. Wanna chew on mommies running sneakers? Go for it kid! Suck on that binki that was just on the floor of Walmart? why not! * Not that my kid does this........* BUT when Troy can't breathe properly? Not cool. You sorta need to breathe to survive. I was praying to God my hardest I've ever prayed in that backseat while my other half was going Nascar on the highway. All I could think was "what am I going to do if he stops breathing?" Telling you girls - SCARY.

Troy is doing a lot better, thanks for asking. Today we followed up with his normal pediatrician and he confirmed it's croup and his lungs sound perfect. His throat is a little raw, but that's to be expected with all the nasty barking coughs. Today he's been sleeping, coughing, eating solids here and there but mostly bottles, and sleeping some more. Don't know what croup is? You can read all about it here. From what the ER doctor said, he was the 3rd kid that came in that DAY, that had croup. When I came home and hopped on Facebook to update the world what I was just living the past 3.5 hours of my life, I saw that 2 other moms Im friends posted that their kids have croup (none were around Troy the past week). So weird I tell you.
The smiley boy POST hospital visit. Before the hospital, I could not get a smile out of this child which is weird.

So what does a woman/mom do to relieve all this stress from a sick child? A (or maybe it was 2) Corona and lime, of course! And run.

Stress does a body good

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness - poor, sweet baby.

Breanna said...

Poor little guy :( I hope he feels better soon. It's so scary when that happens :(

Lizzy said...

I had the joy of dealing with that when I was home alone with my son and it scared the crap out of me.

I was told to use a cool mist humidifier, take him outside for a car ride at night with the windows down, and the baby wrapped up of course, or crank the shower up and let the bathroom get steamy and sit in there with him for 10 minutes or so. We also used Vicks plug in thing, but that was when he was over 1 1/2.

Hopefully he gets well soon!

erin said...

Oh wow, that is AWFUL! I would have been terrified just like you. Poor Troy! I hope he feels better really soon.

Jenni said...

I can't even begin to imagine how scary this must've been for you, but I am so glad he's okay! xoxo

<3 Jenni

Anonymous said...

Scary stuff! I'm glad he's better.

*Butler, Party of 4* said...

so scary! glad your lil man is okay!!

seriously, who has a stomach as flat as yours AFTER a baby? that's awesome and ridiculous at the same time! :)

Kindra said...

glad he's better! look at your burning those calories!