Monday, November 22, 2010

Day 1 of The 12 Days of Christmas Challenge


I've seen a few blogs that I follow are linking up to participate in Aly's, over at Analyze This, 12 days of Christmas Challenge. We all know my obsession with Christmas, so let's do it!

Day 1 - Christmas/Holiday Tradition

My family has a HUGE tradition that I have gotten to participate in ever since I discovered Santa Clause wasn't real - after we get home from Christmas Eve dinner at my aunts house, we all come back to my parents house and go into separate rooms and wrap all of our presents. This task lasts well into the middle of the night. I'm talking 2 or 3 in the morning people. We don't get home from our Christmas Eve dinner/celebration until about 9 or 10, so it's a few hours of switching rooms to help other people, and bringing packages out for under the tree. We all end up crashing at my parents house of course - some of us in front of the wood stove, some in bed, some on the couch. Since my niecey poo still has the energy, she makes sure we are all awake no later than 6 or 7. My dad and mom take fooooooooreeeeeeeeevvvvvveeeeerrrrrrrrrr getting out of bed. Not only that, but once they DO wake up, they have to make their pots of coffee and this takes foooooooooorrrrreeeeeevvvvvvveeeeeer! We have packages to open people, let's not drag our feet! While we wait for the less than energetic folks to wake up, us eager beavers open our stockings. I have LOVED stockings since I was little. I actually think stockings are just as good as the present part. My mom always had such cool fun things in my stocking: candy, neon colored hair brushes, hair ties/sparkly head bands, fun notepads, one time there was even a pair of cute underwear (good thing I open the stocking w/out my dad and brother watching). It's tradition to take the opening gifts part 1 package at a time. We all watch 1 person open their gift and we rotate around in an organized order. My dad is usually playing the part of 'Santa'. Oh and let's not forget the little whispers "Can so and so open this one yet?" to the gift giver. Of course in our pure exhausted state, you cannot remember what the hell you wrapped in the package, so you answer everything with 'sure'. You can't deny it, we all have that 'special gift' we want someone to open last. Since I love Christmas and never want it to end, I welcome the hours we all spend around the tree just unwrapping gifts and laughing. After that, we all eat some breakfast, usually eggs and toast, and wait for the rest of the family to come on over for an early dinner and Christmas celebration.

Link up everyone, this is gonna be a fun one!!


Photobucket

4 comments:

Aly @ Analyze This said...

My parents take FOREVER to get out of bed too! Like for real. FOREVER. It makes me sooo mad! Haha!

I love how excited you are for Christmas! Gets me even more excited!!! :)

Kit said...

I am so glad that you are participating! I have read your blog for sometime but have never commented. My dad also takes FOREVER to get out of the bed on Christmas morning!

erin said...

My parents are pretty early risers, so we've never had that problem. When we were teens, it was my brother and I who hated getting up! :)

Have a great Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

We do Christmas at my mom's house on Christmas Eve. (It all depends on when my husband's at the fire station though.) The adults take turns after the kids rip into theirs. We do Christmas with my husband's fam on Christmas morning. The kids go first and then the rest of us just tear into ours at the same time. If a big gift comes up, we all stop to watch and take pictures. SO CHEESY, BUT SO FUN!